Recipe - Mary Berry's Double Crust Apple Pie

Hi everyone!
Now that the new year has begun, it is time to begin blogging again. I don't think I have ever slept as much as I have in the last few days! It's the last weekend before I have to go back to work, and here I am with the Christmas tree up and Christmas songs in the background. LOL yes very weird I know, I normally want the tree out the day after Christmas but this year I just can't seem to part with it...

You may recall that I made an apple pie for NYE. The bf just loves apple pie but the one I made last year was so sweet and had so much sugar that we didn't really want to finish it (it had half a cup of white and half a cup of brown sugar!). So I checked online for another one and of course Mary Berry came to the rescue :) The original recipe can be found HERE and is from Mary Berry's How to Cook: Easy recipes and foolproof techniques. I used store bought pastry so I have taken out the whole bit of how to make the pastry, making this recipe very short and quick ;)

You will need:
  • 2 x 375gr packs of ready rolled shortcrust pastry
  • 1kg apples
  • Juice of 1 small lemon
  • 85g granulated sugar
  • 1½ tbsp cornflour
For the glaze:
  • 1tbsp milk
  • 1tbsp granulated sugar
 Instructions:
  1. Unroll one pack of pastry and place this into a pie dish. Blind-bake the pastry as per the instructions on the pack, I normally do this for about 15 mins. Don't throw away any leftover pastry you have trimmed off the edge, you will need this later!
  2. Once the pastry is blind-baked, take it out of the oven and start working on the apples.
  3. Preheat to 220°C (fan oven 200°C), Gas 7. Quarter, core and peel the apples. Slice them, toss in the lemon juice, then in the sugar and cornflour.
  4. Turn the apples into the pie dish, then use a fork to distribute the slices, heaping them up towards the centre. Brush the rim of the pastry with a little milk.
  5. Unwrap and roll out the 2nd pack of pastry and roll it on top of the pie. If you use ready rolled pastry, this is a piece of cake (pun intended LOL). Place the pastry over the filling and gently press the edge with your thumb tips. Hold the pie dish in one hand and cut off the excess, holding the knife at a slight angle.
  6. Edge the pie by making shallow cuts with the back of a knife. Flute the edge with your fingertips, then brush the top with milk. Cut a 1cm steam hole in the centre.
  7. Cut out decorative shapes of the trimmings and arrange on top of the pie, leaving the steam hole clear. Brush the shapes with milk and sift sugar over the pie.
  8. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180°C (fan oven 170°C), Gas 4 and bake for 30-35 minutes. The pastry should be golden and the filling soft when pierced.
The end result is so yummy and not too sweet as you've only use 85 grams of sugar!  For my decoration I used a star, it's very new yearsy and made me think of the fireworks outside.


Yes, I have to work on my fluting LOL


But the top sure looks good!


And this is the inside, it was very yummy. Mary Berry to the rescue!

Apple pie is never healthy, but this sure didn't make me feel as guilty as the other one, so I can highly recommend this one :) Start the new year with something yummy, why not? ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus