The Great Oscar Dinner 2018

Hi everyone! 

I think I've said this many many times already, but oh my it has been a long time since my last post! A good number of years in fact. Running has kind of taken over my life, along with long hours at work, but fear not! Some things have changed and I surely have not been sitting still :) I have many posts lined up to show you my fabulous new creations (and fabulous new failures as well LOL) so I do hope to be blogging a lot more again from now on. I've also changed the layout of the blog a bit, what do you think?

Originally, I had a different post lined up for my "I'm back" post, but it's already been a week and I have not yet shown anyone my food creations for the Oscar Party of 2018. Well, it wasn't really a party this time, both myself and the bf are currently injured so it was a nice evening on the sofa with nice food, so let's call it the Great Oscar Dinner of 2018 instead ;)

For anyone who needs a reminder of who was nominated, here are the nominees for Best Picture:
  • Get Out
  • The Shape of Water
  • Three Billboards in Ebbing, Missouri
  • Dunkirk
  • The Darkest Hour
  • The Phantom Thread
  • Lady Bird
  • The Post
  • Call Me By Your Name

The last few years the Oscar Dinner has been happening even though I have nt blogged about it really, but the effort around it has become more practical as opposed to grand, I guess. All the nominees are still represented, but I just don't have to spend quite as much time in the kitchen. This year, for example, the prep took me a few hours which is so much better than the few days it took me in previous years! Also, we moved a little while ago and most of my decorations were given away so I didn't even have the fancy name cards for the dishes. So are you hungry yet? Let's get this dinner started!

The Apperitif:

Get Out: "iced tea", a really nice bourbon-based iced tea. After all, this movie is all about deceit and misdirection. The word I found for it while looking for recipes was "Trompe L'Oeil"
The Shape of Water: devilled eggs, how could I make anything other than eggs to represent this movie? It was the first I'd made these, and while I did add way too much pepper it was actually not bad. So less pepper next time ;)
Three Billboards: I was really stuck for this one. The only thing the internet showed me was a cheese board with three cheeses! More research then took me to specialty foods of Missouri, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that (according to the Internet anyway), sliced meats are traditional there. Lots of French charcuterie was had as a result.

The Starter:
 Dunkirk: fish cakes. This may seem like a bit of a cop out, but I couldn't make moules frites as we were having something else for the main course, so I had to think of something 'fishy'. Yes it was an easy way out, yet so delicious!

The Main Course:
 Lady Bird: spatchcock. This was the most obvious one. Not having seen the movie yet, this decision was based partially on Internet research showing a Thanksgiving dinner featuring in the movie, as well as just the word 'bird' in the title, and as there was no way I was going to cook a turkey for two people this was the best solution. Tiny bird anyone?
The Darkest Hour: roast potatoes. The breakfast scene in the movie is great, yet not exactly suitable for dinner (no, we're not having brinner! LOL). The most British thing I could think of for dinner were roast potatoes, which worked out perfectly with the rest of the dish.
The Phantom Thread: aparagus. This was a tough one. Again, not having seen the movie, I needed some inspiration. The asparagu scene stood out from everything else I read, and again that worked really well with the overal dish. I actually ended up roasting the potatoes with the asparagus in the same pan, saving even more time!

The Side Dish:
The Post: Vietnamese salad. This dish actually came up when I looked for recipes for 'Get Out', but as the back story of the movie is all about the Vietnam war, I thought it could also work for the Post. Philly Cheese Steak was just not going to happen with the list of dishes I already had. This was the worst of the recipes though, and we hardly ate it. I heated it up the next day to use in a stir fry which was not too bad, but I don't think I'll be making this again.

The Dessert:
Call Me By Your Name: bourbon-glazed peaches. I might as well use more bourbon as I had to buy some for the cocktail for 'Get Out' anyway, and the movie has one scene involving a peach (very 'American Pie), so this recipe was ideal. I served the warm peaches with ice cream instead of yogurt. There was supposed to be lots of bourbon glaze, but I think the peaches were not yet ripe enough as the result was just a bourbon soaked peach really. Need to try this one again.

All in all not a bad dinner, I think! It didn't take ages and all movies were represented quite well. I've linked all the recipes above if you want to try some of these yourself. 

Thanks for reading and take care!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus