Recipe - Danish Smørebrød

Velkommen!
That's Danish for welcome :)

When we went to Denmark, I had 'smørebrød' for lunch and it was just divine! Let me show you what it looked like:

It's so healthy compared to English food even though it has some mayonaise. But even with the mayonaise, none of it is deep fried, normally fried, or even has any fat on it. Again, except for the mayonaise ;)

So, now that we're back in London, I wanted to make this for myself. At the time, I really paid attention to what I ate and it was oh so good so that was easy. To make this you need:
  • slice of rye bread
  • tomato, sliced
  • few leaves of lettuce
  • boiled potatoes, sliced
  • red onion, chopped
  • chives
  • butter or margarine
The assembly is easy:
  1. Spread the butter/margarine onto your slice of bread.
  2. Cover with lettuce leaves.
  3. Add potato slices on top.
  4. Cover with mayonaise.
  5. Add tomato slices onto the mayonaise.
  6. Cover with red onion and chives.
  7. Take your time to enjoy as it's not going to get cold.

This was my version. The lettuce is somewhat on the side as I actually forgot to add it first so I had to try and left the whole contraption without being covered in mayonaise and slide the leaves underneath. I obviously only managed a bit...

But the end result tasted the same and it was so good! And so easy, perfect for an easy and relatively heathly lunch. You can always use light mayonaise or leave it out entirely, though it does give it this extra special taste :)

Enjoy, or as the Danish would say: Velbekomme!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus