Counter

Thursday, 7 May 2015

Owl Remote Control Holder

Hi everyone!
I finally finished a non-running sewing project again :) It's been a while really, with all these races all the time... I had this project saved on my Pinterest account for ages, and for some reason I showed it to a friend from work who was about to leave for another job. Needless to say, she loved it and immediately wanted one. What else to do but make one for her? 


Originally, I linked to the tutorial through a different website showing the owl in the most amazingly cute fabric, but it wasn't the original tutorial. I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to things like that. In short, to find the original tutorial (albeit with fabrics that are not my personal favourite, click HERE

One thing you have to know is that this girl is serious about pink, so of course the owl had to be as pink as possible. I went through my stash and as it turns out I don't actually own a lot of pink fabric, but I think I found a combination that worked quite well.

I used this Amy Butler fabric that a friend gave me a while back. It had a nice shade of pink to it. I had originally saved this for a dress, which will still be made as I have just found the perfect pattern for it and I still have a ton of fabric leftover :)

I used a heavy quilt cotton with dark pinkish-red roses for the belly and the eye lids, and blue polka dot cotton for the eyes. I had one perfect button for the iris, but alas only one which would have looked a little drunk so I had to make smaller irises.

For the wings I found this lovely flower fabric in my stash which worked really well I though. I stitched the details in the wings that you can't rally see here as I stitched them in white, and hand tacked them onto the belly. The pink polka dot ribbon is not in the original tutorial, but was added to hide the seam of the two fabric pieces meeting. I didn't have enough fabric to to make that out of one piece. It adds a cute detail though! You don't even want to know how long I debated on the colour of that ribbon LOL. The feet were hand stitched on, the tutorial was a little vague on that so I just went with what I thought would be best.

To pull it all together, I added the bow in green and pink. It really completed it as I felt there was something missing otherwise. 

The beak and the feet are of the same fabric also, and for the batting I was completely out so I had to order some more, it was just normal toy stuffing. One final piccie before it goes to its new owner!

I think that smile says it all, she loved it!

I'm so pleased with the way it came out :) Maybe I should make one for us, in purple. LOL, I can't wait to hear what the bf would say about that! 

2 comments:

  1. I found your nice owl through Creating my Way to Success' s blog. Is in my list of things to do now :) New follower here. I leave here the link to my blog if you want to visit me . Nice to meet you!!!
    Marisa from http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...