Fabulising February is nearly over and this is the last project I have managed to complete.Tomorrow I'll post a short recap showing all the finished projects. Wanting to go out with a bang, I tackled a men's shirt that the bf bought online many years ago and forgot to return it so I wanted to make something nice out of it. Seems a waste to be throwing away a brand new shirt! Granted, it was white and while probably cotton it was very thick and stiff material. So I dyed it purple. Of course.
Once it was purple, I then had to try and do something with it. Easier said than done! I finally found a cute idea for a dress in blogland (didn't save the link though) and I really wanted to try that. But the instructions were super tricky so in the mending pile it went.
This is the shirt. Much too large even for the bf but purple at least ;) And a bit wrinkled for being in the bag for a very long time.
But with only a little time left in my Fabulising February month, I decided to give it another try. This time, without a pattern and instructions. Risky? Oh yes, but then again it couldn't really get any worse...
I cut off the sleeves and the shoulders, and cut the rest into a dress shape. I sewed the front up so the buttons wouldn't open, and used the collar for straps. I also added the buttons that were at the end of the original collar to make it look more genuine. It came out so cute!
I love it now :)
I made the back of the strap out of the thick bit of fabric that was just underneath the collar. I forgot to take a picture of the back though but surely those will follow once I'm wearing this in summer (it's like 3C outside so definitely not wearing this right now! LOL). The sewing of the top hemline is not the best as I had to adjust it a few times, but no one is really going to notice that. I'm very pleased with this result, it's comfy and cute :) Another summer dress done!