Counter

Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Made My Own Christmas Crackers!

Hello again everyone!
It has been a while (I really dont want to say that work is mad busy but it is. On the other hand, in two days I will have a few days off so I am counting every second!). I am super busy with Christmas preparations also, even though I have actually finished my shopping for over three weeks now. If only I wouldnt want to make so much myself...

And speaking of which: this week I made my very own Christmas crackers! They look wicked, are completely frugal, and I have the chance to put in some proper prizes. Ok the prize thing didnt really work as I ran out of time to make cool stuff so I just used the prizes we got at the crackers from the Christmas parties at work (more on that in a later post).

I'm not sure if Christmas crackers are well-known outside of the UK. On the continent it's not really a thing to do but here is it a must on Christmas. A Christmas cracker is a contraption that looks like a large sweet, made out of cardboard and with a treat inside. The more expensive the crackers, the better the prize. You need two people, one person each pulls one side of the cracker, the thing goes boom (well, a tiny snap) and the person who ends up with most of the cracker gets the prize. Fun huh! It's the best when you're with a group of people sitting around the table and each person crosses their arms and then tries to pull the crackers with both neighbours at the same time. Hilarious! (am I explaining this well or does it make no sense at all?)

So anyway, back to the point, Christmas crackers and how to make them :) A while ago, I found this website where making crackers was really well explained. I did have to go on ebay to get the snap thingies but I think I paid £3 for 12 and given that that would be the only expense, it wasnt too bad. The rest of the things I needed were abundant anyway: toilet rolls, wrapping paper, and ribbons. I wont post the instructions here as the website has great pics etc but I can show you my results:

At the moment I only have these 5, I will make two or three more as I still have some prizes and snaps left and the bf is already looking forward to these :) He even wanted to test one the other day to make sure they're working! Hahaha.... I dont know about you, but I love this idea (and the fact that I could FINALLY do something with those toilet rolls that I seem to collect LOL.

Interested in making your own also? Just go here and have a go. It's great fun! Next year they will hopefully be better and with hopefully more time... Have fun with these and happy cracking!

2 comments:

  1. Your cardboard bon bons look terrific! Always nicer to have a hand crafted bon bon than the mass produced items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these a few years back for Halloween! I tend to buy them on after-Christmas-clearance for the following year, but yeah, what fun would the celebration be without the silly games and laughter? Yours came out just splendidly.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...