Recipe - Frikandel Speciaal

Hi everyone :)LinkAs you might know from reading my blog, I am originally Dutch. Having not lived in Holland for a while, I still miss the food sometimes. Of course we have De Hems, the only Dutch pub in London but it's usually busy and while the food is excellent, it can take a while before it actually arrives. Plus I'd have to get there first. So to make things easier, I wanted to make my own. Which of course I only knew was possible once I read a great blog called The Dutch Table. It has so many recipes of things that you would normally buy in the shop in NL but cant find here. Oh wait, I already told you about this blog... Remember my Valentine Dinner? Anyway, it is a great site. There I also found the recipe for frikandellen.

First, you might want to know what a frikandel is for starters. Well, Wikipedia says: A frikandel (plural frikandellen) is a Dutch snack, a sort of minced-meat hotdog, developed either in 1954 or in 1958/1959 in the Netherlands, depending on the source.

This is what an actual frikandel looks like when you buy it in the shop.
(image found here)

After trying the recipe for frikandellen from scratch on The Dutch Table, below is the result. I wont go into the recipe as the original has everything you need. I didnt have a sausage making thingy, so I had to use a bottle as requested in the recipe. It was quite easy once I had managed to find all the right stuff. The frikandellen curles a bit though and broke when they were too long, but I think it went well for the first time trying :)

This is what the frikandellen looked like after boiling (I did 6 mins, maybe 4-5 mins would have been better and a bit less dry)

Frying in the pan since I dont have a deepfryer.

And taadaa! Proper frikandel speciaal :)

Ok so I didnt cut them open etc but I prefer it this way. The onions are under the sauce so they're definitely there. On the right you see my apple sauce which is also very Dutch and made by me. Even the bf liked them! Next time I will boil them a bit shorter though as they were a teensy bit dry. Still, we had result, we had homemade frikandellen!! Whoohoo! And I used the nice fries and not the chunky yukky English ones. For drinks we had Grolsch beer and for dessert German chocolate cook pudding from Dr Oetker. It was similar to vla...

I still have a few things to finish today and then we're off to the Rammstein concert, yes! I'll make sure to post a pic later :)

Comments

  1. Oh yum! They look like they turned out well! I remember eating Frikadellen on holidays to Holland as a kid!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, make my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus