Halloween Quilt - The Cut

Good morning everyone!
I've done it, I've finally started!!! You may or may not remember this and those of you who have been following my (admittedly recently very quiet) blog, but years ago I decided to start a Halloween quilt. I went everywhere to buy fabric and possible went a little overboard. Over the years I've managed to buy fabric at several markets and shows in London, Britex in San Francisco, Joanne's in Providence, and even a cute little quilting shop in Salem. Oh yes, I went everywhere... But I never actually got my mind set on a specific design or anything so it never got started. 

Last week I went to my weekly sewing/knitting group and a friend of mine was there and we got talking about the Halloween quilt. When I got home I really wanted to get started so on the weekend I got out all my fabrics (sadly I don't have a piccie of the pile at the moment) and started cutting, having finally made up my mind about the design. 

Of course me being me, things did not go without any hickups and last night I realised that I had added some fabrics in the last months and I couldn't remember if I had washed all of them. Oops... I know the older fabrics had all been washed so what to do? Especially since I had cut a lot of squares already (well, rectangles really). I decided to not take any chances and wash all the 'doubtful' fabrics immediately, even the cut squares. I had enough leftover in case of a disaster (this is why I always buy way too much LOL) so it couldn't hurt, I would just lose some time. And let me tell you, I am so glad that I washed them! Out of about five or six fabrics I wasn't too sure of, only three shrunk so I'm delighted that I found out just in time :)

I only have this one photo for now, but these are some of the smaller squares. I'd paired them up and then needed to unpair them again to find the ones I wanted to wash. It's looks way messy right now, but more fabrics are in the stash not in the pic. I'm so excited I am finally doing this!

I'm not entirely sure how long this will take me though as I am still cutting the rest of the smaller 'squares' tonight and then have to cut all the borders before Saturday as I want to get the sewing started on the weekend. The cutting is really boring... but I know I'll have to just be patient and work my way through it. Not sure if I'll be able to finish this before Halloween though.

So this is another WIP, along with my Spooky House cross stitch which I will also share with you shortly as I've made some good progress over the last few weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to post more about the quilt soon!

Comments

  1. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt! Great selection of fabrics you have there :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, make my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus