Halloweening - Costumes - Princess Leia

I wanted to share some costumes that I made with you. Not all of these are made especially for Halloween (you know me, I dont need Halloween to make costumes LOL), but I wanted to share these with you as they are all easy to make and fairly cheap.

The first costume I wanted to blog about is the Princess Leia costume. Super easy to make, you can make this as complicated as you want. I was asked to make this by a friend who cant sew and didnt want to spend a lot of money on a costume for her little girl. Enter me and my love for costumes. :) What did I use for this? Two single bedsheets, some leftover wool fabric, some silver material my fabric guy gave me, and 7 buttons. So the whole thing was basically free!

First of all I went to this awsome website: http://www.padawansguide.com/ which is a whole website dedicated to Star Wars and their costumes. It is the best website ever for costuming! It shows fan tips on how to make the costumes as well as references to the actual movies. It is a must if you want to make your costume as accurate as possible (which for me is always important, even if this girls was only 6 years old)

Some reference images from their website, just click on the link to see the image:

Classic Leia Front

Classic Leia Back

Classic Leia Belt Close-Up

Classic Leia Belt Template
 
This last one is a diagram that someone made showing the exact measurements of the silver thingies on Leia's belt. How cool is that??

As my friend doesnt allow me to post pics of the girl in the costume (which of course I completely respect), I can only share the costume as it is laid out on the bed but it should show the result quite well actually:

The front of the dress

The back as well. I was really impressed with the hood. This is really easy as it's not actually a real hood but just a long strip of which both ends are sewn onto the dress.

The belt, made out a leftover piece of white/cream woollen fabric. The silver fabric I got from my fabric guy who just cut off a tiny strip when I told him I only needed about 5cm wide. How nice was that? Each piece is cut out according to the diagram above which I rescaled to fit the child costume. I then glued a silver circle onto the buttons and sewed these onto the belt also.

The belt as you will see it from the front once it's worn


The front with the belt

And the back. I think it looks really good!

Now remember, this was COMPLETELY FREE! The bedsheets were in the discard pile anyway (btw, I used two of them since they were a little see-through otherwise but if your sheet is thicker than I'm sure one is fine also), and the rest was stuff I had or was given. And the little girl was ecstatic :)

If I can do this, so can you! Oh yes, this entire costume took me only one afternoon to make after doing the research so totally good for last minute situations also!

06/05/2013 UPDATE:
For reasons unknown to me this post has seriously climbed to the most-popular entry on my blog. With only one comment from way back when I have no idea what happened. Not that I'm not happy about it, don't get me wrong! I did have to make a few changes though so instead of reference pictures you can now only find links. Just click on them and they will take you to the image needed.

Comments

  1. Lovely! Good for you, and for me, now, too....thanks! I wasn't planning to make any costumes this year, but we have decided to go to a party, and I would like to do this (and Jedi robes for my guys, those should be easy, too). Thanks for this. I will love to have Leia's white dress, and will wear it every year! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be able to provide some insight as to why you have seen an increase in site views; have you heard of cosplaying? Cosplaying is a hobby involving dressing up as a character from a movie, comic, or manga. Cosplaying is very popular at comic conventions.
    I'm planning on going to a comic-con this spring as Eowyn from the Lord of the Rings, and had some extra white fabric I thought was perfect for Leia's dress, the only problem was I couldn't find a resource for the dress. This is the best one I've found so far, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be able to provide some insight as to why you have seen an increase in site views; have you heard of cosplaying? Cosplaying is a hobby involving dressing up as a character from a movie, comic, or manga. Cosplaying is very popular at comic conventions.
    I'm planning on going to a comic-con this spring as Eowyn from the Lord of the Rings, and had some extra white fabric I thought was perfect for Leia's dress, the only problem was I couldn't find a resource for the dress. This is the best one I've found so far, thanks for the

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, make my day!

Popular posts from this blog

Scissor Sock Tutorial

Fabulising February - Men's Shirt Dress

My Neighbor Totoro Project #2: Catbus